Happily Ever After. . .

The misadventures of two people who get to learn things the hard way but love it!

Wednesday, September 25, 2002

Who's the doggy in the mirror? Who's the doggy? Is that SHalosh? Say hello! Shal-osh! Hello, SHalosh.

Oh yes, this mumbling occurred in my bedroom just last week. Here's the set up. We have a huge mirror that hangs at the head of our bed. I was not feeling well. Josh just left for class. I of course invite Shalosh up into bed with me to comfort my aching body. She lays there for a bit, and then gets bored. (We're pretty sure she's ADHD--emphasis on the Hyper) So, she's sitting up in bed, I'm petting her, and she's panting heavily. All of the sudden she stops. I glance her way to see what object she has mistaken for a squirrel, but wait. . .She's looking in the mirror. DId you read that? She's looking at herself in the mirror. THis has never happened before. I've been told that all dogs do this, but apparently our dog is a little too distracted (stupid) to notice a mirror. At first she just stares, then she starts panting again. Then she darts back and forth as if trying to "play" with the dog in the mirror. Then she sniffs the mirror. All along I am amazed, laughing and feeling a proud mother moment. My baby just saw herself in the mirror! So yes, I join in the game. I start in with the dialogue. (Who am I kidding, the MONOlogue). Do you see a doggy? Who's the doggy? Where's Shalosh? I try to show SHalosh me petting her and help her make that connection. I try to explain to her that she is seeing herself. At this point, I need to remind you (and myself) that SHalosh is my dog. Then I proceed to call Josh on his cell and tell him what his daughter has just learned. I was teary. Oh my, how embarassing. Just imagine when my baby looks in a mirror. Our mirrors will be covered with doggy licks by then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home